Tuesday, March 10, 2020

fwiw, i have no particular attachment to italy. i know i have italian ancestry, but i'd never identify myself as italian.

i was not raised with any italian heritage; i wasn't even aware of it until i was in my mid-teens. you know how i learned this? i invited a zito over to my house for a school project in the 8th grade, and my dad told him that his mother's name was zito. i had no idea up until that point; i would have told people he was french. 

i don't speak italian. i wasn't raised religiously. 

the most italian thing about me is that i eat a lot of pasta. really.

i'd identify more readily as norwegian, from my mother's side, which is a culture i feel a stronger affinity with.

but, i'm a canadian. my ancestors come from 20 different countries, and i'm not really strongly connected to any of them. the only language i speak is english, but i actually have no english heritage. i probably look more jewish than anything else...

but, i like the culture of the northern european barbarian more than i like the settled culture of southern europe or the middle east, and would prefer to identify with the later rather than the former.